Two River Lives: Team Experience
Susan and Adam have a combined 40 years of experience on and around rivers. From raft guiding to river literacy education to event coordination, their lives have centered around sharing the river experience with the public and with each other.
Take a look at some career highlights from these two river enthusiasts. More information can be found below gallery.
Susan Hollingsworth Elliott
- Published articles in paddlesports publications and blogs
- Large school science teacher and kayak coach on rivers around the world
- River literacy curriculum development and program management
- Water quality technician and volunteer coordination
- 15+ years raft guiding and kayak instruction in China, Mexico and USA.
- Urban youth canoe trip leader and kid’s kayak instructor
- Board member, American Whitewater
- NRS Team Member
Adam Mills Elliott
- Produced video and photographic media for river expeditions in China, Mexico, Brazil and USA/>
- Over 18 years multi-day river guiding in the Grand Canyon
- Brand consultant and workshop coordination for high school experiential education
- Instructed whitewater kayaking for cancer survivors and private clinics
- Tiny home/RV design and reconstruction for small-home living
Susan’s Experience in River Conservation, Communications and Recreation
Event coordination and Communications
- Coordinate Condit Dam stakeholder blast party for 300 people including the logistics to view the blast moment live and visiting the dam site.
- River Literacy Interpretation pilot seminar program manager with Headwaters Institute.
- RiverFest coordinator, White Salmon River
- Blog contributor and communications lead at Wet Planet Whitewater on the White Salmon River: Condit Dam removal, rafting and kayaking programs and activities, local history and more.
Youth on Rivers
- Leading after-school kid’s canoe and bike trips in sub-urban Pennsylvania with Wildlands Conservancy.
- Multi-cultural kids kayak instruction on China’s Salween River with Last Descents Rivers Expeditions.
- Building leadership, trip planning and life skills with high school students at World Class Kayak Academy across the US, China and Peru.
River Guiding and Trip Planning
- Instruct kayak courses (12+ years) in the Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest, Mexico and China
- Teach “Guide School” on rivers of the Northwest, guide daily trips on the Wild & Scenic White Salmon River
- Expedition planning to Northern India
- Develop science curriculum for high school students at World Class Academy
- Mentor NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates summer program
- Water Quality Technician and Volunteer Coordinator for Columbia Riverkeeper
Adam’s Experience in River Media Creation, Recreation and Planning
- Grand Canyon: 10+ years guiding 2-week long river trips.
- China: 5 years guiding multi-day tours on Yangtze, Mekong and Salween rivers.
- Guide Management for Last Descents River Expeditions, China.
Photography and Video Documentation
- Trip Leader: National Geographic Television, “Monster Fish of the Amazon”
- Photographer: Canoe & Kayak magazine, Kayak Session magazine
- Videographer: River Roots Production, “Chasing Niagra” – Redbull Media House
- Production Assistant for Balance Media TV.
- Studied Architecture at the University of Oregon
- Studied Industrial Design and Design Management at the Art Institute
- Branding and Environment Design for Paul’s Shop, Kunming, China.
- Website and marketing strategy for World Class Academy
- Speaks Mandarin, has worked with manufacturers for R&D
- Loves reverse engineering outdoor gear